Here at USI, we want to see students succeed during their time on campus and beyond. That's why we've cultivated a robust academic support program available to all students. In addition to tutoring and supplemental instruction, Academic Skills offers other forms of academic support for students.
Our Academic Survival Guide provides students with strategies and worksheets to help them become successful college students.
Academic Peer Coaches can help when students feel overwhelmed with the academic demands of college. Any USI student can be paired with an academic coach for assistance and support. Academic coaches model successful learning strategies and offer individualized weekly sessions that can focus on a variety of academic topics:
- Specific study skills, such as organization, time management, procrastination, note-taking, textbook reading, test taking, memory, and concentration
- Self-regulated learning
- Student accountability, responsibility, and self-advocacy
- Goal setting and planned action
- Breaking assignments into manageable parts
- Active listening, feedback, collaboration, and encouragement
All academic coaches complete an extensive training program led by the Academic Skills staff.
Workshops on several academic success topics are offered during the semester, and a variety of topics are covered during Student Success Week. In addition, Academic Skills personnel are available on an as-requested basis to deliver workshops to classes and student organizations about the following topics:
- Successful academic planning
- Time management
- Textbook reading strategies
- Test-taking strategies
- Test anxiety
Athletic Peer Coaching
Housed within Academic Skills, the USI Athletic Peer Coach Program assists USI student-athletes both academically and with the overall adjustment to college life. All student-athletes are eligible to participate. Participants are assisted by fellow student-athletes who have been selected to serve as positive role models, both athletically and academically.
The program can have a number of benefits for student-athletes who participate in it:
- Improving overall academic performance
- Enhancing study skills, including test-taking and note-taking
- Developing routine study schedules
- Increasing motivation for classes
- Studying in a structured environment with supportive people
- Becoming more connected to campus and adjusting to college life
- Learning about available resources at USI
- Enhancing interpersonal communication skills
- Getting to know university personnel and other student-athletes on campus
All athletic peer coaches complete an extensive training program led by the Academic Skills staff.