Skip to content
Contact USI

Disability Resources coordinates services, academic accommodations, and other supports for students who have a disability. The Disability Resources staff work with students who have a disability to make sure they have equal access in order to benefit from classes, activities, facilities, programs, and services.

Any student who has a documented disability can work with the Disability Resources Office.  This includes students with medical conditions that affect their learning, as well as students with learning, psychiatric, physical or neurological disabilities. The Disability Resources Office also may be able to assist students with temporary disabilities due to injury or medical conditions. The Disability Resources staff will work with students to identify appropriate documentation and accommodations.

The kind of documentation you need depends on the kind of disability that you have. Different documentation is required for students who have a learning disability versus those who have a physical or psychological disability. See the documentation page for more information on specific documentation that you might need to provide.

Accommodations are individualized to meet student needs. Some examples of common accommodations include extra time on exams, reduced distraction area for exams, readers/scribes, note takers, alternative format textbooks, sign language interpreters, use of recorder, and enlarged materials.

Not necessarily. The IEP or 504 plan may provide good information for the Disability Resources coordinator to learn about how you have been accommodated in the past. However, you will need to submit documentation such as a recent psychological evaluation or letter from your doctor describing your disability, your functional limitations, and recommendations for accommodations that might help you to be successful. Click on the documentation link to find more, detailed information regarding documentation and what you will need to submit to the Disability Resources Office in order to move forward in discussing accommodations. It is important to keep in mind that high school services are geared toward guaranteeing success for students whereas the goal of college services is to provide access. As a result of this difference, the types of accommodations provided in a college setting may differ from those you are accustomed to receiving in high school.

Once documentation is received and reviewed Disability Resources staff will contact the student to schedule an appointment. At the beginning of the fall semester this process will take a little longer than it will during the rest of the school year. It is recommended that you submit your information at least 30 days prior to the date that services are needed. If you will require any accommodations that may involve securing services or materials from others outside the university such as sign language interpreters, books in audio format or specialized housing requests, please submit your documentation at least 60 days prior to the date that services are needed.

It is your decision whether or not you disclose your disability information to your instructors. Disability Resources will  provide you with a letter to give to each instructor that lists your accommodations. You will be responsible for taking this letter to all of your instructors. We encourage you to have a conversation with your instructors regarding what your needs are at this time. You do not have to disclose your disability.