Master of Science in Sport Management
Currently Accepting Applications!
Apply by 12/16/19 | Start Class 01/13/20
The 100% online Master of Science in Sport Management from USI will ensure you develop the skills and knowledge to advance your career in the sport and recreation industry.
Our affordable and flexible program is designed for individuals who have completed a bachelor's degree from an accredited university in subjects such as sport management, marketing, business administration, communications, or related fields.
33 Credit Hours
Complete in as little as one academic year.
Admission into the Master of Science in Sport Management program will be contingent on the following:
All students applying or reapplying for graduate studies at the University of Southern Indiana must submit the following materials to Graduate Studies in order to be eligible for graduate study at USI.
- A completed Graduate Studies Application
- A non-refundable application fee of $40
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate/graduate institutions attended
- Additional information may be found on the Graduate Studies website
- A personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation
Requirements for admission include:
- An earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with an undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Demonstration of potential and ability for graduate level writing as evidenced by the personal statement
- Demonstration of potential and ability to pursue graduate studies as evidenced by the letters of recommendation.
Although applicants do not need to hold an undergraduate degree in sport management or related field, preference will be given to those applicants with an educational background and/ or work experience in a related field.
- Acquire knowledge and skills across a diverse set of professional environments.
- Gain the ability to communicate effectively and persuasively.
- Learn to work with diverse groups and organizations.
- Develop skills to promote equality and social justice from local to international levels.
- Learn to successfully engage with others as a professional in the sport industry.
Courses within the MSSM Program are offered entirely online using a learning management system. Access to a reliable computer with internet access is required.
|Program Start||Application Deadline||Document Deadline||Registration Deadline|
|January 13, 2020||December 16, 2019||December 23, 2019||January 10, 2020|
|March 16, 2020||February 17, 2020||February 24, 2020||March 13, 2020|
|May 11, 2020||April 13, 2020||April 20, 2020||May 8, 2020|
The MSSM requires 33 graduate credit hours. All courses within the MSSM are three credit hours and seven weeks long.
Courses can be taken in an accelerated version, where students take two courses (six credit hours) per a seven-week term. The accelerated option allows students to finish the MSSM within one academic year.
MSSM students may also take courses in our alternative option, which allows students to take one course (three credit hours) per a seven-week term. The alternative option allows students to finish the MSSM within two academic years.
Courses are designed using the Quality Matters Rubric Standards based on best practices and research for course design.
Required Courses (33 credit hours)
- SPTM 592: Contemporary Issues in Sport and Exercise (3)
- SPTM 604: Sport Facility and Event Management (3)
- SPTM 605: Dimensions of Diversity and Society in Sport Organizations (3)
- SPTM 633: Sport Marketing (3)
- SPTM 652: Sport Budgets & Fiscal Practices (3)
- SPTM 653: Sport Law (3)
- SPTM 664: Research Methods and Statistics in Sport Management (3)
- SPTM 688: Strategic Sport Communication (3)
- MKTG 601: Marketing Strategies (3)
- MNGT 601: Human Resource Management (3)
- MNGT 611: Leadership Skills and Innovation (3)