Research studies of service-learning demonstrate that service-learning programs can have positive impacts on students in three general areas:
- Academic engagement and achievement
- Civic attitudes and behaviors
- Social and personal skills
The studies also demonstrate that students gain the maximum benefit when their service-learning experience includes:
- A direct tie to the curriculum.
- The students being a part of the planning and design of specific service projects.
- A structured reflection on the service experience occurs within the course.
- Continuity of service project is for at least one semester.