Skip to content
Contact USI

Principals & Counselors

As a dual credit partner, it is important to have the information needed to communicate with current and potential CAP instructors, as well as current and potential CAP students. This web page serves as a central location to find the information you need to keep things running smoothly throughout the school year and beyond. As always, if you should have any questions you cannot resolve here, please feel free to email the CAP office or call 812-228-5022.

How does my school become a CAP partner high school?

If you wish to offer a CAP course at a school where CAP is not currently offered, the school board must approve the partnership. The high school course must incorporate the same curriculum components and academic standards as the course offered on USI's campus. The high school instructor must be approved as USI adjunct faculty. To discuss a potential partnership, email or call 812-228-5022.

Enrollment Criteria


Indiana College Core (ICC) Resource Page for CAP Students

My College Core Planning Tool

CAP vs. AP - What's the Difference?

Students and parents may be confused about how CAP differs from Advanced Placement (AP) courses. The FAQs below may answer some questions you might have.

Questions You May Have…

Advanced Placement


Is the potential to earn college credit based on a single test score?



Is a university letter grade awarded and recorded for credit at the   university?



Is the program managed by a post-secondary institution with national   academic accreditation?



Is the instructor required to maintain collegial interaction with a   post-secondary institution faculty liaison regarding course content?



Is the instructor required to at least have a master’s degree?



Transferability of Credits

Before enrolling in the College Achievement Program, it is the student's responsibility to contact the institution to which he or she is seeking admission to determine transferability of CAP credits. The decision to recognize credits is the decision of the receiving institution. 

A student who wants to transfer credit to a specific college or university should check directly with that institution (registrar's office, office of admissions, or academic program of intended major) to determine if a course will be accepted and counted toward graduation.

Credits earned through the College Achievement Program are USI courses and will be waiting for students when they arrive at USI's campus. Even so, before enrolling, students should still consult the University web site for particular requirements of their potential major and USI's general education Core 39 requirements. If you know your intended major, also check out the major program requirements, as some majors specify which courses should be taken to meet Core 39 requirements.

Credit Transfer to Public Institutions in Indiana

Public schools within the state of Indiana have established a Core Transfer Library (CTL). Each course included in the list will transfer to any public college or university in Indiana if an equivalent course exists and if the student has earned an adequate grade in the course. Click here for more information about the CTL and how CAP courses transfer around the state. Check out which schools offer CAP courses here.

*CAP courses not included in the CTL may still transfer to public institutions in Indiana. Check with your college of choice prior to enrolling.

How to use the Core Transfer Library

1. Log on to
2. Hover over 'Earned Credits' and select 'Core Transfer Library'
3. Click 'Search the Core Transfer Library Now' button
4. Select 'Filter by School' and select the alphabetical tier that your prospective school(s) are in.
5. Find the CTL name (if you need the CTL name, reference the CAP course listing) for your USI course on the list and review what the course transfers into the school as by finding the school course number and course title on the same row (be sure to make sure your row headers are visible).

Different institutions give their courses unique names. The CTL assigns courses a generic name to cover the variety of course names throughout the state.

All of the courses shown for a CTL course name are equivalent courses at the respective institution. For example, under the CTL course name, American History 1, you can see that USI's HIST 101 is equal to IU Bloomington's HIST-H105, American History 1.

Credit Transfer to Private Schools & Schools Out of State

Public schools out of state generally accept dual credit transfers, as do some private schools. The registrar's office, admission office, or prospective academic school will be able to verify how credits from a CAP course will be accepted and counted toward graduation requirements.

When contacting an institution to determine how CAP credit will transfer, be sure to have the following information ready:

  1. The name and number of the CAP course (e.g. ENG 101 Rhetoric & Composition)
  2. The course description (available here)
  3. The number of credit hours

Be prepared to ask the following:

  1. Will the course fulfill a graduation requirement or be accepted for elective credit?
  2. Is a minimum grade required for the course to transfer?
  3. Will you send written confirmation of what was agreed to in this conversation?

Students are advised to take a portfolio of their work (including a course syllabus, graded papers, tests and other beneficial information) to new student orientation in order to demonstrate the college work in the course and to gain the transfer credit. If transfer ability is in question, students should go to the subject area department (mathematics, English, etc.) and show the portfolio to the freshman advisor. Persistence on the part of students often meets with a successful transfer of credit. Students should not carry in a USI transcript, as most institutions require it to be sent directly from USI.