Skip to content
Contact USI

Student Guide

A Handbook for High School Students Enrolled in USI's College Achievement Program (CAP)

2023-2024 Academic Year

Welcome to the University of Southern Indiana (USI) College Achievement Program (CAP), a dual credit opportunity for high school junior and senior students to enroll in USI courses. Through CAP you will earn valuable college credits that will help build a strong base for your future college career.

We encourage you to browse the CAP website; if you have any questions or concerns, please reach out.


The CAP Staff
Jaclyn Dumond, Director, CAP and Lifelong Learning
Dana Drury, Manager, CAP
Zoe Meuth, CAP Program Associate
Division of Outreach & Engagement
University of Southern Indiana (USI) 

Table of Contents

What is the College Achievement Program?

The University of Southern Indiana’s College Achievement Program offers college credit for USI courses taught in the high school by an approved instructor. Students can receive both USI and high school credit for enrollment in the designated high school course.

Approved high school instructors are considered USI adjunct faculty and attend discipline-specific training with a USI faculty liaison. CAP courses are real USI courses and require effort and greater academic commitment. Enrolling in a CAP course starts an official, permanent USI transcript.

Prior to registering for a CAP course, consult with your CAP instructor, counselor and parent(s) to determine if CAP is right for you. It is your responsibility, before enrolling, to determine transferability and overall utility of the USI course at USI or other institutions you may attend (see Transferability). Also, be sure to read over the dual credit helpful hints for parents and students before registering for CAP.

Back to Top

Student Qualifications and Prerequisites

Students enrolling in CAP should have a minimum, cumulative high school GPA of 2.5 (based on a 4.0 scale) and junior or senior status. Sophomores are permitted in career/technical education and third year world language courses only.

Past CAP students must have attained a USI grade of C or better to enroll in further coursework in the same subject area (i.e. English 101 and English 105).

  • A student with a GPA below 2.5 or who fails to meet additional required criteria for particular courses will not be permitted to enroll and will receive a letter with notification of the denial. 
  • The CAP Office will contact the instructor and counselor so the student can be informed in person that participation in the requested CAP course has been denied.

Some CAP courses have additional prerequisites beyond the minimum GPA requirement. Visit our Course Prerequisites page to learn more.

Back to Top

Students with Disabilities (ADA Policy)

Students with disabilities who meet the eligibility standards ( are invited and encouraged to enroll in CAP. Each high school retains the responsibility for providing and coordinating any accommodations or services as described in the student’s current IEP, 504 Plan, or similar educational plan. The CAP Office only needs to be informed about accommodations related to placement testing or if there is an accommodation which would fundamentally alter the content of the University course, as these may not be provided by USI. Students in fully online or hybrid courses should be aware that, due to the nature of online courses, some accommodations approved for traditional USI classroom courses may not apply. Please discuss this with your CAP instructor to clarify as needed. To learn more about the differences between high school and college for students receiving disability-related academic accommodations, please take a moment to review the U.S. Department of Education’s publication “Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities” at:

Back to Top

Registration Procedures

For high schools on the semester system, students should commit to a year-long or fall-only CAP course during fall registration. High school courses that meet only in the spring will have a spring registration. Deadlines differ for high schools in trimester or quarters and will be shared through the CAP instructor.

  1. Full details, videos and current deadlines are available at How Do I Apply to CAP?
  2. Upon successful admission to a CAP course (about 4 weeks after the deadline), students will receive an enrollment verification email and an acceptance letter mailed home. The acceptance letter and enrollment verification email contain login information for USI's student portal, myUSI. Be sure to save these letters in a secure spot for future use.

Back to Top

Responsibilities and Benefits of Being a CAP Student

Student Conduct

While students are enrolled in USI’s College Achievement Program, they are expected to abide by the academic rules of behavior befitting a university student. Request that CAP students read the policies regarding student behavior and academic dishonesty, available in the online resource, Student Rights and Responsibilities: A Code of Student Behavior. Of particular note are the definitions for cheating, fabrication, plagiarism, and interference with another student’s work and the penalties related to these activities. 


Current or prospective CAP students have access to USI's advising centers to learn how CAP courses will fit into a future USI degree. 

CAP students have access to the online USI student portal called myUSI. The University ID, provided in the acceptance and enrollment verification letters, is required to activate myUSI, and detailed directions are available here. You will need to use myUSI for the following:

  • To view your grade at the end of the term
  • To access your unofficial transcript for freshman advising/course registration
  • To request your official USI transcript to begin the process of transferring credits should you go to another college/university
  • To access your free USI student email account (which can be forwarded)

CAP students have the privilege of checking out materials from the Rice Library on USI’s campus. The student can obtain a CAP library card at the library front desk by showing a state-issued photo ID (driver’s license or ID card). The library card may be used to check out materials during the semester(s) in which the student is enrolled in the CAP course. CAP students can accrue library fines if books are overdue; library fines will prevent students from registration in further CAP or USI courses and also will prevent access to transcripts. CAP students may use Rice Library study rooms and can reserve them by selecting the Rice Library icon in myUSI. 

Visit the CAP LibGuide site for help finding databases to conduct research in your CAP courses. 

USI’s Academic Skills’ Office provides by-appointment, in-person and virtual tutoring for CAP students. View current schedule and details here.

Because CAP students do not pay the same on-campus activity fees or Counseling Center fees, they are not able to use the Recreation and Fitness Center or the Counseling Center. However, if you are in need of immediate assistance and your high school counselor is not available, contact USI's Counseling and Psychological Services or Public Safety

Back to Top

Impact of CAP on Financial Aid and Scholarships

College credit hours accrued through CAP, or other accelerated learning options, like AP or IB, may impact your future financial aid, scholarships, grants, loans, and/or work study eligibility. If you plan to attend USI as a degree-seeking student in the future and have questions, contact USI Student Financial Assistance at 812-464-1767. Any student entering USI from high school is considered a freshman in terms of scholarships, no matter how many hours are transferred in via dual credit. 

Back to Top


The grade earned for the USI coursework is often the same as the grade earned for the high school course. However, some USI courses require specific assessments, like a final exam that cannot be exempted. In courses where a student is required to complete specific assignments/assessments for the USI grade that are not required for the high school grade, students may have a different USI grade than their high school grade. These details will be clarified in the course syllabus.

Letter grades indicate the quality of coursework completed: A, excellent; B+ and B, good; C+ and C, average; D+ and D, poor. The letter grade assigned for unsatisfactory course work, F, does not result in USI credit being granted toward graduation. A letter grade of F is included in the official USI transcript and GPA computations. USI does not assign minuses.

The grade you earn in your CAP course will be recorded on a USI transcript, regardless of what it is, unless timely action is taken to withdraw from the course.

Reviewing Grades Online
You can access final USI grades online through myUSI, but you first will need to activate your myUSI account. Detailed directions can be found here. 

Back to Top

Grade Point Average - GPA

The USI grade point average is a numerical value which is obtained by dividing the number of quality grade points earned by the number of quality hours attempted. This average, often called the index, is computed at the end of each term, both for the term and on a cumulative basis. The grade of A represents four points for each hour of credit; B+ three and one-half points; B three points; C+ two and one-half points; C two points; D+ one and one-half points; and D one point. No points are awarded for an F, although the hours attempted are included in the computations and therefore will lower the cumulative GPA. 

Back to Top

Frequently Asked Questions About Transferability

1. Do other schools have to accept credits from USI?

It is each college or university’s right to accept or decline credits from other institutions. Although the likelihood is low that a USI CAP course will not transfer, it is a possibility you should consider when deciding to register. In most cases, USI credits transfer to other colleges for comparable courses or as elective hours. Before enrolling in CAP, you are strongly encouraged to investigate transferability issues with the colleges and/or universities you are interested in attending. Learning that a course does not transfer or will not fit into your course load does not merit a refund.

Reading the course description for the class should provide enough information for the college to determine transferability.  When calling another university to check on transferability for the course you might say, “I’d like to get a feel for college coursework and am planning to take a three-hour history class at the University of Southern Indiana.  Before I enroll, I want to be sure the credits will transfer to your institution.  I can read you a course description….”  Always document the name of the person with whom you speak and request written verification of the credit transfer, perhaps in an email, if a university employee states that the USI credits will transfer. If you plan to pursue certain specialized programs (such as physical therapy), or have any doubt about transferability of credits, contact the registrar’s or credit transfer office of the colleges you plan to attend.

Typically, students must earn a grade of C or better in a CAP course for an institution other than USI to accept credits. We recommend you retain the course syllabus and save major class assignments for every USI course you wish to transfer, in case someone at your intended college or university questions the equivalency of the course. 

Public Institutions in Indiana

Public colleges and universities within Indiana have established the Indiana Core Transfer Library (CTL), as mandated by the Indiana Legislature. The CTL was created to help students transfer credit among Indiana's public institutions and now includes some independent colleges as well. To see course equivalencies, you will need to know the CTL name for each USI course you take, which is available here. After filtering by the CTL course name, equivalent courses will display from each institution along with important notes.  

A complete list of USI courses offered through CAP and included in the transfer library is available here. Remember that CAP courses not included in the CTL will likely transfer to other public and many independent institutions; check with your college of choice prior to enrolling in CAP. For more information about the CTL and how courses transfer around the state, visit

Out-of-State and Private Institutions

Because USI is a public, four-year, regionally accredited institution, students have a high success rate in transfer to out-of-state public institutions. Private institutions often are more selective, but many accept USI credit, particularly the institutions who joined the CTL. Refunds will not be issued if USI credits are not accepted by another institution; please investigate transferability prior to enrollment.

2. How do I initiate the transfer of CAP credits?

If you enroll at USI as a degree-seeking student upon high school graduation, you do not need to request a USI transcript to transfer your CAP credits. The courses and grades are already part of your permanent academic record at USI. When meeting with your faculty advisor the summer before you begin classes at USI, you should mention you have already earned USI credit, to be assured of proper placement in freshman-year courses.

If you enroll in another university, you should request that an official USI transcript be sent directly there, after you graduate from high school, via the Registrar’s Office transcript request link at This transcript must be sent directly from USI to your selected college or university to be considered an official record. Be sure to select 'hold for grades' if you submit your request before mid-June. Due to the way in which USI processes spring grades, transcripts are not able to be sent until mid-June. Keep this in mind when scheduling advising visits prior to mid-June, and print an unofficial transcript from myUSI as proof of completion of a USI course. Be sure to request transcripts for dual credit earned at other institutions.

3. Do I have to transfer my CAP credits? Can I transfer a portion of my credits?

If you enroll at USI as a degree-seeking student after high school graduation, you do not have a choice. Any USI credits earned through CAP are already in the USI system, awaiting your arrival.

If you enroll in another university, whether or not you must transfer your CAP credits varies. Some institutions (USI included) require that students provide transcripts for any college credits earned elsewhere; failure to disclose this information may lead to serious consequences down the road. Other institutions may leave that choice to you.

Regardless, anytime you transfer college credits from one institution to another, your entire academic record will be sent, not just a portion. Typically, institutions will not award credit for grades below C.

4. I am attending USI. Who can help me figure out if my dual credit helps meet my degree requirements?

USI has five advising centers to provide students with advising specific to their majors. Each college at USI has an advising center, and a fifth center is available for students who have not yet declared a major. Advisor names and contact information are on Advising website

5. Who do I talk to for help with transferability issues after high school graduation?

If you have difficulty transferring your USI credits to another university or college, a CAP staff member may be able to assist. To seek assistance, call the CAP Office at 812-228-5022 or email one of the CAP staff ( with the following details: the high school you attended; the name of your CAP instructor and the name of the CAP course; the college or university to which you are attempting to transfer the credit; and the name of the person with whom you have spoken, along with contact information. A CAP staff member will make contact with the institution to see if course acceptance can be arranged. USI cannot guarantee transferability of CAP courses to other institutions, but our success rate for transferability is high.

Back to Top

Early Graduation Policy

If you plan to complete high school one semester early, you may enroll in a fall-only CAP course. However, if the CAP course is year-long, you should not enroll for USI credit, as you will miss half the content and registration will not be permitted. 

Back to Top

Once enrolled in a USI course, CAP students must abide by the Withdrawal Calendar, which is an adjusted version of the USI Academic Calendar. Enrolling in a college course is a significant academic commitment. Students and parents should seriously consider student obligations prior to enrollment.

If a student drops the high school CAP course, they are not automatically removed from the USI CAP section. It is the student's responsibility to contact the CAP instructor and CAP Office so a withdrawal may be processed based upon the Withdrawal Calendar. If a student fails to contact the CAP Office after leaving a CAP course, they risk earning a failing grade as they will still have a USI grade recorded since they failed to contact CAP to complete withdrawal paperwork.

No Withdrawals Permitted

Starting with the first day of the high school’s final exam week – December for fall courses and May or June for spring or year-long courses (exact dates vary by district and school), students may no longer complete paperwork to withdraw from a USI course. Students will be held responsible for all academic obligations.

Back to Top

Undergraduate Admission to USI
Undergraduate admission to the University of Southern Indiana is not guaranteed for students participating in CAP. If you plan to attend USI upon graduation from high school, you should be certain to complete a USI Application for Undergraduate Admission to formally apply to the University. To be eligible for scholarships and/or financial aid, this process should be completed no later than March 1 of the year you plan to enter the University. Grades earned in CAP courses will be on your USI transcript when you meet with your advisor to plan your course schedule. For more information on applying to USI for undergraduate admission, visit: 

Back to Top

Core 39 (USI's General Education Curriculum)

As part of a bachelor's degree, students at USI must complete the general education curriculum Core 39. You can learn more about Core 39 by visiting:

Back to Top

Indiana Academic and Technical Honors Diplomas

CAP courses can fulfill diploma requirements for Indiana's Academic or Technical Honors Diploma. For more information about diploma requirements, visit the Indiana Department of Education's diploma requirement web page. 

Back to Top

Available CAP Courses
USI courses available through CAP are listed here; courses vary by school. The number of credit hours is noted in parentheses, and if the course is included in the Indiana Core Transfer Library, the CTL name is listed.

Back to Top

FERPA Regulations

1. What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) helps protect the privacy of student education records.  The intent of the legislation is to protect the rights of students and to ensure the privacy and accuracy of education records. The Act provides for the right to inspect and review education records, the right to seek to amend those records and to limit disclosure of information from the records. FERPA applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the Department of Education.

2. What information can be released if I did not waive my FERPA rights?

Only data defined as "Directory Information" may be released (when appropriate) without the express written permission of the student. No other information contained in a student's educational records may be released to persons or organizations without the student's prior written approval.

3. What does USI consider “Directory Information”?

  • name
  • mailing address
  • telephone listing
  • email address
  • curriculum information (majors, minor, degrees, or certificates)
  • dates of attendance
  • enrollment status (i.e. full-time, part-time, etc.)
  • classification (i.e. freshman, sophomore, etc.)
  • awards received
  • most recent educational institution attended
  • date and place of birth
  • parents’ names
  • participation in sports or activities
  • height and weight of athletic team members

4. What about disclosing information to parents?

When a student turns 18 years of age or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, all rights afforded to parents under FERPA transfer to the student. However, FERPA also provides ways in which schools may share information with parents. 

  • Students who did not waive their FERPA rights on the Student Permission Form may fill out a disclosure form and specify what information can be shared and with whom it can be shared. 
  • USI may disclose educational information to parents if they can present tax records proving the student is their dependent. Parents must contact the Office of the Registrar to establish proof of dependency.

For additional Do’s and Don’ts visit If you have any questions, consult the Office of the Registrar at 812-464-1762.

Back to Top

Procedures for CAP World Language Courses

The following information outlines the procedures to be followed by the University of Southern Indiana's College Achievement Program (CAP) when offering dual credit world language courses. This agreement allows USI-bound students the opportunity to earn 12 credit hours toward college graduation, which includes 6 credit hours that apply to a language major or minor at USI. These students earn departmental credit for 101 and 102 after successful completion (A or B) of the 203 level course. Students who plan to attend other colleges/universities can earn 6 hours of transferable USI world language credit. 

World Language Procedures:

  1. Student enrolls in a world language 203 course.
  2. If the final grade in 203 is an A or B, the student earns 6 hours departmental test-out credit for 101 and 102 plus the 3 hours seat time credit for 203.  The student may then enroll in 204.
  3. If the final grade in 203 is a C or lower, the student earns 3 hours seat time for 203 ONLY. The student will then need to meet with their instructor to decide if moving to 204 is appropriate. If so, the student may enroll in 204 at the start of the spring semester.
  4. If the student earns a D or better in 204, they earn those 3 hours of seat time in addition to any previously earned seat time.

Departmental credits, while honored by USI for students involved in CAP, may not be honored by other institutions. 

Back to Top

High School Agreement Program 

For students who wish to take courses on USI’s campus, visit for more information and an application. Students should be prepared to pay full USI undergraduate tuition plus the cost of books and additional fees. No tuition waivers are given for students on free/reduced lunch or 21st Century Scholars program.   

Back to Top

Preferred Name Change

USI recognizes the need or preference for members of the University community to refer to themselves by a first name other than their legal first name. As long as the use of this name is not intended for the purposes of avoiding legal obligations or for misrepresentation, the University acknowledges that a “preferred name” can be used where possible in the course of University business and education. No documentation is required to add this information to your record. It does not change your legal name.

The following list provides a few examples of appropriate preferred name options at this time:

  • A middle name instead of first name
  • A name to which you are in the process of legally changing
  • A name that better represents your gender identity

Only the first name may be designated for the preferred name; the last name must remain the same as the full legal last name in the system. The University is not permitted to use a preferred name on all records. Examples include (but are not limited to) your enrollment verifications, transcripts, financial aid documents, visa documents, w-2 forms, and third party reports.

The University reserves the right to refuse a preferred name. Instances that may result in this prohibition include arbitrary or repeated name changes; the use of profane words; names that may be used for fraudulent purposes; or other situations deemed appropriate.

Back to Top


Contact CAP staff (Jaclyn Dumond, Dana Drury or Zoe Meuth) at 812-228-5022 or

Back to Top