"STudents and ELderly Linking Around Relationships" strives to develop positive relationships among students and elders within the community. The group focuses on changing negative stigmas associated with elders and students alike and replacing them with positive views of both. Through community based activities the group creates a positive atmosphere and educates students of all majors on the needs of the elderly within the community along with informing them about the many opportunities for careers working with elders.
As a group, we are involved in the following activities:
- Visit and provide activities to Solar Bron, Seton Residence, Evansville State Hospital, and Pine Haven.
- Adopt an elderly person
- Christmas parties for elderly people in assisted living facilities
- Dream Maker, also a lifetime member of Second Wind Dreams
- Call or visit an elderly person
- Seton Residence monthly birthday parties
Sigma Phi Omega (SPO), the national academic honor and professional society in gerontology, was established in 1980 to recognize excellence of those who study gerontology and aging and the outstanding service of professionals who work with or on behalf of older persons. The formation of a society provides a much needed link between educators, practitioners, and administrators in various settings where older persons are served.
VALUE OF Sigma Phi Omega for students:
- Identifies and associates a person with excellence in the field of aging.
- Identifies leadership opportunities on the local and national level.
- Potential recognition through awards of academic excellence, civic engagement and professional works.
- Provides a leading edge for internships and jobs
- Networking opportunities
- Receive Quarterly newsletter
Student and Professional membership criteria:
- Majoring, minoring, or interest in gerontology/aging studies or related field (such as social work, nursing, occupational therapy, biology, etc)
- Has completed at least one semester of schooling
- Undergraduates: GPA – 3.3 on a 4.0 scale
- Graduates: 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Provide degree and dates awarded as well as your employer and job title.
- Signature of USI Sigma Phi Omega faculty advisor