Skip to content
Contact USI

There are many ways to get around campus and around Evansville. Be sure to check the Student Domestic Travel Policy before traveling.

USI Campus Shuttle and METS West Connection

USI and METS (Metropolitan Evansville Transit System) provide bus transportation on campus and to the Eagle Plaza and Schnucks Transfer Terminal for USI students for free (must show valid USI student ID). Real-time tracking of the buses serving the USI campus is available courtesy of DoubleMap at USI Double Map.

The USI Campus Shuttle runs Monday-Friday only during the fall and spring semester when classes are in session.  The bus provides transportation between the Housing apartment complex and main campus.

The campus shuttle runs:

  • Campus Shuttle #1:    7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
  • Campus Shuttle #2:    7:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m. (5 p.m. on Friday)
  • Campus Shuttle #3:    8:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. (October through March)

The METS West Connection Shuttle runs only during the fall and spring semester when classes are in session and connects USI with the METS city transportation system at the Schnucks Shopping Center.

The METS West Connection runs:

  • Monday - Friday:      7 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.

An example of the time table for the METS West Connection can be found below:

First departure from Schnucks 7:15 a.m.
Transfer terminal arrival at the Orr Center Every 30 minutes
Last departure from USI 9 p.m.
Last arrival at Schnucks transfer terminal 9:15 p.m.

Evansville METS Bus
Aside from this free route, the Metropolitan Evansville Transit System (METS), Evansville's public bus transportation, can be accessed from this free route, and tickets are $1 per person. A list of further routes are located on the City of Evansville website.

Greyhound Bus
Greyhound Bus is the main company that provides bus travel across the United States. There is a Greyhound Station in downtown Evansville at 119 Northwest 6th Street. For more information, call 812-425-8274.

There are a few taxi companies in Evansville. However, you have to call for service. It is a good idea to keep their contact information in case you need a cab. It is not common to find a taxi on the street. Here are some companies:

Obtaining an Indiana Drivers License

If you have a driver's license from your home country or an international driver's license, an out-of-country driver's license cannot be used for identification purposes. You do not have to surrender an out-of-country license if you are issued an Indiana driver's license, permit or identification card. If you have an out-of-country driver's license, you must pass the vision screening test, written knowledge test and driving skills test to obtain an Indiana driver's license.

Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles Website

Driving Skills Test

You must arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time to take a driving skills test.

Written Examination

You do not need to schedule an appointment for a written examination unless you need to have the test read to you. You must arrive at least one hour before a branch closes to take a written examination.

Vision Screening Test

The vision screening test measures your visual ability. If your visual ability does not meet state standards you will be referred to an eye doctor for an eye examination.

What Documents Must I Provide the BMV?

  • Your passport with a valid visa and I-94
  • A Social Security card (if you have one) or a letter from the Social Security Administration proving that you are not eligible for a Social Security Number (Form L-676). The letter should not be older than 60 days.
  • Two documents which prove your local address:
    • Before you go to the BMV to apply for your driver's license or permit, please stop by the International Programs Office to request a letter verifying your local address. We will send this letter to you through the mail, and you can use the letter, along with the envelope addressed to you, as one of the documents you need verifying your local address.
    • The second document can be a bill you received at your local address, a bank statement or receipt from your local bank, etc.

All documents proving your identity, Social Security number, lawful status and Indiana residency will be verified through a central verification process. The Bureau of Motor Vehicles will issue an interim license, valid for 30 days, authorizing you to drive pending authentication of documents submitted to BMV. See the BMV website for more information on the required documents.

When your documents are verified, the BMV will mail the license, permit or identification card to you. If the documents cannot be verified, you will receive a letter explaining the determination. Please contact the Center for International Programs if you would like assistance in following up with the BMV.

Obtaining a Learner's Permit

If you have never obtained a driver's license before, you must first apply for a learner's permit. Learner's permits allow Indiana residents to practice driving before obtaining a driver's license.

To obtain a learner's permit, if you are 16 years of age or older, you must present documents of identification at a license branch and pass a written examination and a vision screening test.

Driving with a Learner's Permit

If you have a learner's permit and you are enrolled in an approved driver education program, you may practice driving only after you begin the program. You may drive only when you are accompanied by a certified driving instructor in the front seat of a vehicle equipped with dual brake controls, or when a parent, step-parent or guardian who is at least 21 years of age and has their valid driver's license with them is seated in your vehicle's passenger seat.

If you are between the ages of 16 and 18 and you are not enrolled in a driver education program, you may practice driving with a learner's permit only when a parent, guardian, step-parent or other relative who is 21 years of age or older and who has their valid driver's license with them is seated in your vehicle's front passenger seat.

If you are 18 years of age or older, you may practice driving with a learner's permit only when an individual with their valid driver's license in their possession is seated in your vehicle's front passenger seat.

Renting a Car

If you need a car for a few days or weeks, you need to call a car rental company. You will need to prove that you are full-time student, at least 25 years old, and have a U.S. or international driver's license with a photo. It is important to buy vehicle insurance from the car rental company. There are several rental companies in Evansville, many of which will bring the car to your home. While you're driving the car, you will have to pay for the gas.

Purchasing a Car in Indiana

You can buy a new or used car from dealers or private individuals. If you buy a used car, make sure you have the car checked by a person you trust (a person knowledgeable about cars) because there are people who will try to sell you a car that may be damaged in some way. New cars often cost a lot of money. If you have the money, you should be prepared to negotiate. In the United States, it is customary to negotiate the price of the car.

License Plate

When you buy your car, you will need to get license plates. If you buy a car from a car dealership, they will give you temporary plates. You will then have to go to the BMV to buy a permanent license plate; be sure to include this cost in your budget.

You will also need car insurance. It is against the law to drive a car without having insurance. There are many companies that provide insurance.

When you have done all of the above, go to the BMV. Be sure to bring:

  • Bill of Sale (receipt for your car)
  • Title and Registration Card (The official paper that says you are the owner. Every car is registered with the government.)
  • Proof of Auto Insurance (your insurance card or letter saying you have insurance)
  • Social Security Card (If you do not have a social security card, take all your immigration documents including your passport and I-94.)

The BMV will verify your information, and you will have to pay a fee. The fee could be up to $1,000 dollars.

Helpful Guidelines

  • Decide how much money you can spend, and stay within that amount.
  • Do not let dealers and salespeople pressure you to buy a car.
  • Always drive the car before buying. Check for oil leaks, chassis damage, brake wear, transmission problems, window damage, door problems, exhaust deterioration, etc.
  • It would be a good idea to have a mechanic do a diagnostic check. This will cost money but is often worth the price.

Campus Parking Permits

Students living in campus housing must display a USI parking decal on the window of their car and are only allowed to park in the area where they live. Commuters can park in USI designated lots, but must fill out the Vehicle Registration Form and return it to the USI Parking Department.

USI's campus is very pretty and welcoming for a bike ride. There are several biking trails on campus. You can also bike from your on campus housing to the academic buildings. Bikes can be purchased at stores such as Target, Walmart and Dick's Sporting Goods. You can also use bikes from the University (day use only). More information on bike checkout is available on the Recreation, Fitness, and Wellness website.

Evansville has an airport about 25 minutes north of USI. To go to most destinations, you will have to fly from Evansville to a larger airport and catch a connecting flight. The airport code is EVV. The phone number for the Evansville Regional Airport is 812-421-4401.