By the end of the meeting the student will be able to list and use strategies for successful public speaking.
Opening questions for Public Speaking issues:
- What kind of Public Speaking have you experienced?
- What excites you about public speaking?
- What worries you?
- Is there anyone whose public speaking style you really admire? What do you like about it?
Public speaking can take many different forms:
- Informal discussion
- Conferencing and other small group activities
What have your experiences with public speaking been like? When have you seen it done well? Do you have worries about it going poorly? What do you worry about? What sorts of strategies do you think might help make the process easier for you?
In this section, students can practice public speaking.
- First, write a short speech that addresses the following:
- Introduce yourself
- Share 2-3 life, academic, or career goals you have
- Explain how you aim to achieve those goals
The student can deliver their speech twice, taking into account coach feedback.
Step 1: First practice round Student delivers the speech for the first time.
Step 2: Give feedback Coach shares suggestions.
Step 3: Second practice round Student delivers the speech again, keeping in mind the coach feedback.
Step 4 (Optional): Second feedback round Coach shares any additional feedback.
Share your reflections on the activity. What about the experience was challenging or rewarding?
How do you feel about public speaking now, versus when we started? What's one step you're going to take after this to change how you feel about - or do with your - public speaking?