Skip to content
Contact USI

The Registrar's Office is responsible for maintaining student academic records. The information provided on these pages is provided as a tool to answer your general questions and to guide you in discussions with your student. The information is not intended to include all academic policies and procedures.

Can I access my student's academic records?

At the post-secondary level, parents have no inherent right to access or inspect their student's educational records. The right of access is limited solely to the student.

Can I receive my student's grades?

Mid-term grades, final grades, transcripts, and other indicators of classroom performance are examples of the confidential information that make up part of a student's educational record. This information is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA); parents do not have access to it unless the student chooses to provide the information. Students can view their semester grades and unofficial transcript online via myUSI, and share the records with a parent if they choose to do so. If an official transcript is needed, the student can submit a transcript request.

Can I order a transcript for my student?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of education records for all students at the university.  The general principle is that student education records are considered confidential and may not be released to third parties (including parents).  If an official transcript is needed, the student must submit the transcript request.

I pay the bill for my student, why can't I see his/her academic records?

It can sometimes be hard to accept the fact that a parent's choice to pay for their student's education does not supersede the student's right of academic privacy. Even when a third party is financing their enrollment, the right of access still remains with the student. However, an open line of communication can help facilitate the exchange of information between parent and student.

Tuition and Fees (rates for tuition, parking, housing, meals, etc.)
Financial Assistance (grants, loans, federal work study, etc.)
Bursar/Cashier (billing, USI Express Pay, payment plan)

How can I receive an Enrollment Verification for my student?

There are times when formal verification of a student's enrollment, GPA, or a degree earned is needed (for a student loan deferment, good student insurance discounts, coverage on parents' insurance, potential employment, etc.). USI participates in the National Student Clearinghouse, providing enrollment data that is accessible by various loan companies for the purpose of loan deferments. If an enrollment verification certificate is needed for another purpose, the student must initiate the process and authorize the release of their information.