The Board of Trustees of University of Southern Indiana urges full-time students to become part of USI history by applying to serve as student trustee. The USI student trustee position is a one-of-a-kind opportunity that allows a student to work closely with USI leadership to shape the University's future. Former student trustees have gone on to careers in medicine, law, business, and higher education.
As one of nine trustees of USI, the student trustee serves a two-year term as a full-voting member of the board.
How the Selection Process Works
Applications for the 2023-25 term are now closed.
1. Interested students submit applications and all required documents through the following link: (application link) no later than Friday, March 17, 2023. Application Deadline was extended to Friday, March 24.
2. The Student Trustee Screening Committee selects applicants to interview.
3. Selected student trustee candidates are invited for interviews with the committee on Tuesday, March 28, 2023 (Spring Assessment Day). Interviews are mandatory for consideration.
4. After the interviews, in accordance with state law, the screening committee forwards a list of finalists to the governor of Indiana.
5. The governor's office may conduct 2nd interviews for all finalists.
6. The governor of Indiana appoints the student trustee by July 1.
In addition to the application, candidates must submit:
- An essay addressing why you are interested in the position and what you can contribute to the Board of Trustees (one page, single spaced, Arial 12 pt. font)
- Two letters of recommendation (one from USI faculty member who you have taken a class, and one professional reference from a community member)
- A resume'
Completed applications, along with essay, letters of recommendation and resume must be submitted online.
Please direct questions related to the student trustee position or the application process to Dr. Julie McCullough at JMccullo@usi.edu or President's Office at USI_President@usi.edu.