Multicultural Leadership Recognition Award Guidelines
The Multicultural Leadership Recognition Award is for deserving students with demonstrated multicultural leadership experiences during their high school careers.
$1,000 per year for potential value of up to $4,000. In addition, this scholarship provides a net tuition payment equal to the Indiana resident tuition rate for non-resident students. This scholarship can be combined with the David L. Rice Scholarship up to a total value of $4,000 per year.
Based upon annual USI funding.
No required application. Students who participate in the Multicultural Leadership Scholarship interview program but are not selected as recipients will be considered for this scholarship.
New first-time freshmen must have a 3.0 cumulative grade point average on a 4.0 scale at the end of the sixth semester of high school. Applicants must have demonstrated leadership in multicultural school or community activities or organizations. Entering freshmen must be admissible to USI.
The scholarship may be renewed automatically if the student successfully completes 24 USI credit hours each academic year (fall/spring) and maintains good academic standing with the University. The Office of Student Financial Assistance will evaluate earned hours after the spring semester. Students may make up deficits in earned hours in summer at in-state rates. Courses used to make up deficits in earned hours must be taken at USI.
- Renewable for up to 3 consecutive years or until first undergraduate degree is completed whichever comes first.
- Award recipients must enroll as full-time students during the fall and each successive regular semester following award notification. Exceptions are made to permit December high school graduates to begin University enrollment in the spring semester. A full-time student is defined as one who enrolls in at least 12 credit hours each fall/spring semester. Official enrollment is determined on financial aid census day (5th day of fall/spring). Failure to comply with these requirements nullifies the award and all future entitlement. Under exceptional circumstances, a student may petition the Director of Student Financial Assistance for a "leave of absence" for one semester and an extension of calendar year limits or an exception to the minimum enrollment requirement (only for documented medical or academic reasons).
- Non-Indiana award recipients may utilize the tuition fee waiver portion of this scholarship to receive Indiana state rates for summer, if the student is in good academic standing. No minimum enrollment is required for summer.
- Acceptance of this award offer is valid only during the fall semester (mid-year high school graduates may be eligible the following fall term) of the year in which the award is made.
- Award recipients are required to live on-campus for the first academic year. After the first year there are no residential requirements. Exceptions are made for students that are living at home with their parents/guardians and reside within commuting distance.
- All participating students must maintain good standing at USI. Students who are dismissed from the University, for any reason, forfeit all entitlement to this scholarship.
Students may request exceptions to these regulations when unusual or mitigating circumstances warrant such action. Appeals must be submitted in writing to the Student Financial Assistance Appeals Committee at USI. Send all correspondence to:
Student Financial Assistance
University of Southern Indiana
8600 University Boulevard
Evansville, IN 47712
Decisions of the Appeals Committee are final.
Awards are subject to approval based on availability of funding. No cash refunds are made to students from this scholarship.
Students may check their MyUSI account for the most current financial aid information. USI reserves the right to make necessary adjustments. Renewal of this scholarship depends upon future funding. The University reserves the right to change scholarships, policies, and award amounts. The right to correct errors is also reserved.
Questions about the Multicultural Leadership Recognition Award guidelines?
Contact the Student Financial Assistance office at 812-464-1767 or 800-467-1965; or email email@example.com. Business hours are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (central time).