HIPAA Training Module
As a member of the University of Southern Indiana College of Nursing and Health Professions (CNHP) workforce you may have access to confidential personal health information.
Members of the CNHP workforce include but are not limited to faculty, staff, students, and volunteers.
As a member of the CNHP workforce, you will likely have access to and use confidential information in any or all of the following categories:
- Client personal health information (such as charts and other paper and electronic records, demographic information, conversations, admission/discharge dates, names of attending healthcare providers, client financial information, etc.);
- Information pertaining to members of the CNHP workforce (such as health records, salaries, employment records, student records, disciplinary actions, etc.);
- University of Southern Indiana and CNHP information (such as financial and statistical records, strategic plans, internal reports, memos, contracts, peer review information, and communications); and
- Third-party information (such as insurance).
As a member of the CNHP workforce you shall:
- Only access, use, or disclose confidential personal health information as necessary to perform your job functions.
- Only access, use, and disclose confidential personal health information which you have authorization to access, use, and disclose as necessary to do your job.
- Not in any way access, use, divulge, copy, release, sell, loan, review, alter, or destroy any confidential personal health information except as properly and clearly authorized within the scope of your job and as in accordance with all applicable University of Southern Indiana and CNHP policies and procedures and with all applicable laws.
- Report to your supervisor and to the appropriate office any individual’s or entity’s activities that you suspect may compromise the confidentiality of confidential personal health information.
- Download HIPAA Policy
- Download HIPAA Forms
- View the HIPAA Presentation prepared by USI faculty.
- HIPAA Quiz
A HEALTH CARE PROVIDER’S GUIDE TO THE HIPAA PRIVACY RULE: Communicating with a Patient’s Family, Friends, or Others Involved in the Patient’s Care
Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights
For content-related assistance concerning the student HIPAA Education Module, please contact the program director of the school you are currently enrolled in.
For technical assistance concerning the HIPAA Education Module, please contact Richard Wire at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your USI Student ID Number will be required.