IRBNet is a web-based tool that helps researchers and the Office of Sponsored Projects and Research (OSPR) better manage protocol submission, modification and tracking processes for human subjects research. All research studies submitted for review by the IRB (including exempt proposals, expedited proposals, convened proposals and any modifications or renewals to already approved projects) must be submitted electronically through IRBNet.
All IRB project forms and templates are located in the IRBNet Library. As part of your IRB submission, you will also be required to upload a PDF copy of your CITI training certificate into IRBNet.
Announcement - Surveys in IRB Projects
If your survey will be distributed by email/completed online as part of your research study,
- it is required that the survey be created in Qualtrics,
- a PDF copy of this survey should be attached to the package in IRBNet, and
- the Informed Consent information should be displayed at the beginning of the survey.
To create a PDF of the Qualtrics survey: 1) Create the survey in Qualtrics, 2) select "Tools", 3) select "Import/Export", 4) select "Print Survey", and 5) "save as PDF." Then, attach this PDF document to the project in IRBNet.
- Please refer to USI Qualtrics from Institutional Analytics (IAO) for helpful tips and tutorials and to request a Qualtrics account.
- Bots and Online Human Subjects Research (Columbia University, 2022)
- Qualtrics Fraud Detection strategies
IRBNet User's Manual provides step-by-step instructions for the entire submission and approval process.
IRBNet Abbreviations and Terms Guide includes definitions of words commonly used in research.
- STEP 1 - IRBNet can be accessed at www.irbnet.org or through my.usi.edu
- STEP 2 Registration - This guide will walk you through the steps to create your IRBNet account. Please make sure you select "University of Southern Indiana" as your organization. You must use a valid USI email address for account registration.
Once you've created your account you will receive an activation email, be sure to click on the link in the email to activate your account. If you have problems activating your account, contact IRBNet support at 877-261-6461.
- STEP 3 Project Creation - This guide will walk you through the submission process step-by-step.
All IRB application forms can be downloaded from the IRBNet Library. Not sure which form to use? See IRB Application Form Descriptions and IRB Research Categories and Definitions.
- STEP 4 Making a Requested Revision - Once submitted and reviewed, an application might require revisions before approval can be granted This guide will show you how to make changes to an application in IRBNet.
- STEP 5 Modifying an Approved Study - If there are any changes to the project that was originally approved you will need to submit an Amendment Form C. This guide will show you step-by-step how to submit the Amendment form.
- STEP 6 Continuing Review - IRBNet will sent an email notice to the principal investigator and the project team when an approved project is about to expire. In order to continue research, a Continuing Review application must be submitted. This guide will show you step-by-step how to renew an approved study.
See the What is Continuing Review guide if you have any questions regarding the continuing review process.
- STEP 7 Final Review - When your research is complete, a final report must be submitted to close the project. See this guide for instructions to submit the final report.