When looking to take advantage of military tuition assistance, the first step is always to connect with your education service officer (ESO) from your branch of service and get approval from your command. They will have updated information on the process for your specific branch of service.
The Coast Guard tuition assistance program is designed to assist Coast Guard personnel in broadening academic or technical backgrounds by providing funding for off-duty independent education. Specific policy and guidelines are outlined in ACN 112/20 - SEP 2020 FY21 COAST GUARD TUITION ASSISTANCE (TA) POLICY
More information can be found at: Coast Guard Tuition Assistance Link
You can submit TA Applications up to 90 days from the class start date, NLT than 14 days prior to the course start date.
- Member establish a plan for completion of a degree or certificate program with their ESO's. Use of ETQC-4147 is mandatory to determine a service MBR's eligibility for the use of TA. The use of this form determines a MBR's eligibility AND command approval for the use of TA IAW the current TA ALCOAST.
- Members Submit TA application in MyCG Ed up to 90 days prior to the course start date. All TA applications must be command approved by the ESO 14 days prior to the course start date, MBR's can use theuser manual in MyCG Ed for assistance on entering the TA Application. As a reminder, use all available picklists in MyCG Ed when applying for TA to avoid errors. Reserve members affiliated with the Selected Reserve (SELRES) must up load a current point statement in MyCG Ed for ETQC to verify satisfactory progress in the current anniversary year and to have met the participation standards for the previous anniversary year.
- Supervisors/Department Heads shall forward the electronic recommendation form to the XO for final approval.
- Supervisors/Department Heads shall validate that a member meets the following criteria:
- a) Satisfactory progress toward completion of unit qualifications.
- b) Satisfactory progress toward watch station qualifications.
- c) Satisfactory proficiency of craft.
- d) Satisfactory conduct during the previous six (6) months prior to TA application.
- e) Review & verify accuracy of JST Transcript & submit to school for evaluation
- f) Complete & email JST Correction form for transcript (if applicable)
- g) Uploaded degree plan in MyCG Ed under the “My Education Plan” tab
- The CO/XO or designated Authority will then forward electronically to the designated ESO, COPYING member.
- Member then enters course information in MyCG Ed.