Skip to content
Contact USI

How Do I Apply for an In-State Exception:

  1. To begin the process, eligible students must notify the Veteran Military and Family Resource Center (VMFRC) or Admission Office tor the Office of Admissions.  At this time, you may provide documentation to confirm eligibility.
    • Depending on the student’s particular circumstances, the documentation required to establish eligibility may include a Certificate of Eligibility from US Department of Veterans Affairs for Post-9/11 or Montgomery GI Bill®; Indiana National Guard ID Card; Permanent Change of Station orders; proof of address; and/or DD-214 Certificate of Discharge from Active Duty, marriage or birth certificate, or adoption papers.
  2. Complete a Residency Appeal Form (
  3. Return this form to the VMFRC with the appropriate documentation
    • The VMFRC will include a support letter with your documentation and forward it to the Admissions Office.

As of August 1, 2022, USI is Proud to Offer In-State Tuition Rates for ALL Chapter 35 Recipients in accordance of Public Law 117-68 amends Title 38 USC 3679(c)(2)(A).  See the VMFRC for information.

(Dependent 26 Years Old or Younger or Spouse of a 100% Disabled or Service-Connected Deceased Veteran)

If you have never received VA educational benefits, it’s been at least five years since you last received benefits, or have used your benefits at another institution, please follow these instructions:

1. Complete a new application by selecting this Application Link

2. OUT OF STATE ONLY - Complete the Indiana Residency Appeal Form and turn this into the Veteran Military and Family Resource Center, Education Center, Room 0114 

3. Complete the USI Semester VA Education Benefit Request Form . The USI Semester VA Education Benefit Request Form must be processed prior to each semester attended; failure to do so will delay payment of your benefits.  Please see the link and instructions below.

NOTE: Recipients of this chapter must also verify their enrollment status with the VA at the end of each month attended. This can be done using the WAVE – Web Automated Verification of Enrollment, or by calling (877) 823-2378.

Click the link below to get the most updated information on the:

Survivors and Dependents Assistance (DEA)

Click the link to complete the USI Semester VA Education Benefit Request Form (NOTE:This is completed AFTER you have applied, received and provided a copy of your VA Certification of Eligibility.  This form MUST be completed each semester you want to file a claim.)

Please note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at