Skip to content
Contact USI

USI is proud to offer In-State tuition Rates for ALL Chapter 30 recipients in addition to Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 ("Choice Act").  See the VMFRC for information.

Chapter 30 (Prior Active Duty/Active Duty) If you have never received VA educational benefits, it’s been at least five years since you last received benefits, or have used your benefits at another institution, please follow these instructions:

1. Complete a new application by selecting this Application Link

2. Submit a copy of your DD-214 to USI Military & Family Resource Center

3. Complete the USI Semester VA Education Benefit Request Form. The USI Semester VA Education Benefit Request Form must be processed prior to each semester attended; failure to do so will delay payment of your benefits.

NOTE: Recipients of this chapter must also verify their enrollment status with the VA at the end of each month attended. This can be done using the WAVE – Web Automated Verification of Enrollment, or by calling (877) 823-2378.

Click the link below to get the most updated information on the:

Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD)

Click the link to complete the USI Semester VA Education Benefit Request Form (NOTE:This is completed AFTER you have applied, received and provided a copy of your VA Certification of Eligibility.  This form MUST be completed each semester you want to file a claim.)

Please note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at

How Do I Apply for an In-State Exception:

  1. To begin the process, eligible students must notify the Veteran Military and Family Resource Center (VMFRC) or Admission Office tor the Office of Admissions.  At this time, you may provide documentation to confirm eligibility.
    • Depending on the student’s particular circumstances, the documentation required to establish eligibility may include a Certificate of Eligibility from US Department of Veterans Affairs for Post-9/11 or Montgomery GI Bill®; Indiana National Guard ID Card; Permanent Change of Station orders; proof of address; and/or DD-214 Certificate of Discharge from Active Duty, marriage or birth certificate, or adoption papers.
  2. Complete a Residency Appeal Form 
  3. Return this form to the VMFRC with the appropriate documentation
    • The VMFRC will include a support letter with your documentation and forward it to the Admissions Office.