To be considered for admission to the diagnostic medical sonography program, students must complete the following requirements:
Acceptance to the University of Southern Indiana. To apply to the University, you must complete an admission application with USI Admission.
Declaration of major in Pre-Diagnostic Medical Sonography at the Registrar's Office.
Completion of prerequisite courses with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (4.0 scale). Please see the curriculum plan for required program prerequisite courses.
Application to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program submitted ONLINE after August 1 at /health/ssl/apply/radtdms.aspx
Narrative, signed and dated, that addresses the following:
- Through your observation experience, online research or communication with practicing sonographers, explain what various sonography examinations are performed by the sonographer in a general sonography department.
- Describe which sonography discipline you prefer to pursue in the fourth year of the DMS program, vascular sonography or cardiac sonography; provide a detailed rationale for your preference.
- Describe what you believe are essential traits of a diagnostic medical sonographer.
- List your long-term career goals.
Submission of verification of observation (if applicable) within general, vascular, and cardiac areas of sonography. It is highly recommended that students observe a minimum of 20 hours and maximum of 60 hours within a sonography department before the application deadline. Observation may be completed at any facility performing general, vascular or cardiac sonography examinations. All observation hours must be documented in the observation log and verified by the supervising sonographer.
*Due to COVID-19, observation is not required for the fall 2023 application period. Please see the COVID-19 link under the Program Admission tab for more information.
Please note that completing observations may require the student to have a TB screening, HIPAA class, or facility orientation prior to starting any observations. The student will assume all responsibility for any illness or injury acquired during observation.
How to Apply
- Make sure the admission requirements stated above are met.
- Fill out the ONLINE DMS application. If you have or submitted an old version of the printed application, you must still fill out the ONLINE application to be eligible to interview with the admissions committee.
- Submit all materials (narrative, observation hours, any transcripts) no later than September 15 of the year you wish to be considered for admission to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program to:
Diagnostic Medical Sonography
College of Nursing and Health Professions
University of Southern Indiana
8600 University Boulevard, HP 3070
Evansville, IN 47712