The Fresh Start Program is designed to benefit former USI graduate students who are returning to the University after an extended absence and whose previous academic record was unsatisfactory (student was academically dismissed or on academic probation). This Fresh Start Program allows a readmitting student who wishes to complete an unfinished graduate degree a one-time opportunity to apply for a "Fresh Start." The Fresh Start Program does not apply to certificate programs.
Students will be accepted into the Fresh Start Program if they meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- The student has not been enrolled for two or more years (minimum of 24 months);
- The student was academically dismissed or on academic probation at the end of the last term enrolled at USI;
- The student must apply for the Fresh Start Program at the time of readmission (acceptance into the Fresh Start Program is irreversible);
- The student must meet the criteria (excluding GPA) for admission into the graduate program for which the student has applied;
- The student must submit a written statement (250-500 words) that addresses what has changed since prior enrollment and how a Fresh Start will allow the student to complete the graduate program successfully;
- The student achieves a minimum 3.000 grade point average on the first 6 quality hours taken after readmission and remains in good standing status while completing the hours.
- All USI courses and grades received prior to the readmitted term will be excluded from the cumulative graduate GPA calculations.
- USI courses with grades of B or above will count as earned hours. All other credits will be forfeited.
- A student must re-declare a graduate program and complete all academic requirements and regulations in effect at the time of readmission.
- Prior to completion of a degree, a student must complete at least 12 additional hours at USI toward graduation after acceptance into the program.
- Fresh Start Program status will be recorded on the student's academic record.
- Students do not qualify for financial aid and cannot hold a Graduate Assistantship while attempting the first 6 graded hours taken after readmission.