How Do I Apply?
- Acceptance to the University of Southern Indiana as an undergraduate.
- Non-native speakers of English must meet English proficiency requirements as established by the USI Center for International Programs.
- Complete and submit the Early Admission Application. The application should be submitted PRIOR to the start of your course work at USI.
When Do I Start?
Students begin their nursing course work in the spring semester of their second year of university study.
Students applying for admission to the USI Nursing Program may enroll in the required science courses a maximum of two times per course including transfer credits from any university or college. (Effective for incoming students 2021-2022 academic year)
Accepted direct admission students must maintain eligibility by earning a college GPA of 3.0+ on a 4.0 scale, by completing the first year prerequisite courses by the document deadline for the specific fall or spring nursing course start. Students will work closely with an advisor to determine an individual schedule.
First Year Courses
- ENG 101* Rhetoric and Composition I
- ENG 201* Rhetoric and Composition II
- BIOL 121* Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- BIOL 122* Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- CHEM 141*+ Principles of Chemistry
- MATH 114 Quantitative Reasoning
- PSY 201* Introduction to Psychology
- HP 115 Medical Terminology
- UNIV 101 First Year Experience
- CMST 101* or CMS 107*: Intro to Public Speaking or Interpersonal Communications
- KIN 192 Concepts in Health & Wellness
* To be eligible for admission to the Nursing program, all students must receive a grade of "C" or better in these courses.
Students may have the option to take both Chemistry 142 Survey of General Chemistry AND Chemistry 143 Survey of Organic & Biochemistry (4 credit hours each) combination that is the equivalent of Chemistry 141 (4 credit hours).
If students take the two-course option, the grades for each will be averaged for the points to be applied to the student’s application.
To maintain direct admission status students must:
- Maintain a required cumulative GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 scale on first year required courses.
- Achieve a grade of “C” or better in Biology 121*, Biology 122*, Chemistry 141*, English 101, English 201, CMST 101 or 107, and Psychology 201
- *Students may have the option to take both Chemistry 142 Survey of General Chemistry AND Chemistry 143 Survey of Organic & Biochemistry (4 credit hours each) combination that is the equivalent of Chemistry 141 (4 credit hours). If students take the two-course option, the grades for each will be averaged for the points to be applied to the student’s application.
- In order to progress in nursing courses students must also achieve a grade of “C” or better in Biology 272*, Nutrition 376*, Sociology 121 (or Social Inquiry Category)
|*Students earning less than a “C” grade in two required science
and/or nutrition courses will not be eligible to enroll in nursing courses
- Anatomy and physiology and chemistry course credit must be earned or equivalent competence demonstrated within five years of enrollment in clinical nursing courses.
- Students with three or more failures (a "D" or "F") in any of the required science courses are ineligible for the Nursing program at USI.