College of Liberal Arts Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Committee
The College of Liberal Arts Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee (LA EDIC) is a University of Southern Indiana College of Liberal Arts initiative committed to diversity and inclusion on our campus, and to promoting an academically enriching and supportive climate that allows all members to thrive and succeed.
We define diversity as differences in race, nationality or ethnic group, religious or non-religious tradition, gender, gender identity, socioeconomic class, immigration status, sexual orientation, ability, and other identifying factors. We believe that promoting and sustaining diversity is a commitment to educational quality, social justice, and the creation of positive, respectful communities. We recognize that our strength and success as a college is built upon the foundation of a wide range of perspectives and experiences.
We embrace and encourage diversity in many forms and are committed to inclusivity among our community members, including all students, staff, and faculty. We affirm the dignity and worth of everyone, we acknowledge that the health and success of each individual is possible only in a social context in which we each have responsibilities to others and others have reciprocal responsibilities to us, and we choose to live in solidarity with all people.
- Provide educational opportunities for students, faculty, and staff of the College of Liberal Arts that raise awareness, knowledge, and skills
- Support the recruitment and retention of diverse students, faculty, and staff in the College of Liberal Arts
- Facilitate a campus and community environment that is inclusive and supportive of student, faculty, and staff needs
- Committing to initiatives that solidify and further our welcoming, diverse, inclusive, and supportive environment that focuses on equitable treatment for all students, faculty and staff. Guaranteeing fair treatment, access, opportunity, and advancement for all students, faculty, and staff. In order to do so, the College of Liberal Arts will work to identify and eliminate barriers that have prevented the full participation of marginalized groups.
- We hold team-building seminars for the committee
- We will host quality speakers, intellectuals and activists to speak to the College on equity, diversity and inclusion
- We are working on creating a statement with gender-inclusive language for syllabi
- We are working with local leaders and agencies on the Equal Justice Initiative Soil Collection Project
- We have created a safe space for students to share their ideas and concerns about equity, diversity and inclusion in the College of Liberal Arts called, LA EDIC Student Voices Council
- We support the gender-neutral bathroom initiative on campus
- We are working to create an equity, diversity and inclusion component to all UNIV 101 courses