Department of English Mission and Goals
"Through the study of literature and writing, the Department of English prepares students to communicate effectively, think imaginatively, and live wisely in a diverse world."
- Develop close- and critical-reading skills through discussion as well as formal and informal writing about a variety of texts.
- Develop skills in critical reading and analysis through the application of theoretical approaches to a variety of texts.
Cultural and Historical Awareness/Diversity
- Understand the major socio-historical contexts informing the study of American/British literature.
Disciplinary Skills and Practice
- Understand the distinctions between major literary genres.
- Understand, at the introductory level, significant theoretical orientations that inform ways of reading texts.
- Develop an understanding of the range of disciplines included in English studies.
- Understand the terminology of American/British literature through major periods and literary movements.
Applications of Knowledge and Skills
- Develop as emerging professionals with skills and habits of mind that will help them achieve success in further study in the discipline and the diverse professions they will pursue.
- Become multi-dimensional readers, thinkers, and writers.
- Develop civic-mindedness and a desire to influence and transform their communities and the world.