Now accepting applications for the 2024 trip.
Application deadline is October 1, 2023.
Contact Dr. Wendy Turner for more details.
Global Social Work
Experience Social Work in an International Setting
The Social Work Department at the University of Southern Indiana has partnered with International Service Learning Experiences (ISLE) to offer an outstanding service learning opportunity in Jamaica.
This trip is open to both graduate and undergraduate students who are seeking to increase their global awareness by engaging in social service work outside of the United States.
Undergraduate students enroll in SOCW 490: Social Work in Jamaica. This is a three credit hour elective social work course that meets the University Core Curriculum requirements for Global Communities. This course counts towards the University Core 39 as Global Community
Graduate students will enroll in SOCW 513: Social Work in Jamaica. This is three credit hour elective.
In order to enroll, students must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of SOCW 221: Introduction to Social Work (undergraduate only)
- Minimum sophomore standing
- Enrolled in either SOCW 490/513 for the term in which the trip is being taken
- Fee for transportation, lodging and food approximately $1800
- Must have a current passport
- Must have flexibility and a willingness to work in groups
Global Social Work Award
The Global Social Work Award was established by Dr. Wendy Turner, USI associate professor of social work. This award helps underwrite the expenses of full-time students planning to be a part of the annual Global Social Work trip.