Program Start Dates and Deadlines
The Master of Arts in Second Language Acquisition, Policy and Culture program has 6 starts in a year. Students are admitted for August, October, January, March and May sessions. Application deadlines are listed below.
Unconditional admission into the Master of Arts in Second Language Acquisition, Policy, and Culture program will be contingent on the following factors:
- Admission to Graduate Studies.
- A bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree (or equivalent) from an accredited institution. Although applicants do not need to hold an undergraduate degree in an area of languages, preference will be given to applicants with an educational background in languages or related academic or professional disciplines.
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (or equivalent).
- No GRE is required.
- For international applicants, a score of at least 79 on the TOEFL iBT test or a score of at least 6.5 on the IELTS test.
Applicants not meeting the criteria for unconditional admittance may be conditionally admitted, if space is available. These applicants will receive preference on the basis of GPA and the quality of application materials.
Foreign students may complete an Intensive English course before being admitted to the graduate program.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit required items to your application account.
- $40 application fee
- Official transcripts are required only from the institution at which your highest degree was earned. Electronic transcripts are preferred and can be emailed from the previous institution to Graduate.Studies@usi.edu. Official International course-by-course evaluated transcripts must be sent from a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) member to the School of Graduate Studies by email (Graduate.Studies@usi.edu).
- Unofficial transcripts from other institutions attended can be submitted via email by the applicant to Graduate.Studies@usi.edu.
- Applicants who wish to seek transfer credit for graduate coursework must submit an official transcript from the institution where that work was completed.
- Mailed transcripts can be sent to this address:
University of Southern Indiana
8600 University Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47712
- Read the full transcript policy by clicking here.
- Personal Statement
- A one to two page explanation of your background, interests, and career goals after completing the program
- International applicants may be required to submit the following items:
- Copy of Visa, Passport or Permanent Resident Card
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score
- Statement of Finance
Conditionally admitted individuals can achieve unconditional status following 12 hours of coursework, if they hold a graduate GPA of 3.0 or higher.
All students admitted to the program failing to attain a graduate GPA of 3.0 after 12 credit hours will be academically dismissed from the program.
Graduate students, including degree seeking and non-degree seeking, who have not enrolled in a graduate course for one academic year must reapply to Graduate Studies and the specific program in which they were originally admitted. Additional documentation may be required of international applicants.
For former USI graduate students who are returning to the University after an extended absence and whose previous academic record was unsatisfactory (student was academically dismissed or on academic probation). Learn more about the Fresh Start Program which allows a readmitting student who wishes to complete an unfinished graduate degree a one-time opportunity to apply for a "Fresh Start."