The Time to Get Fit Program is designed to encourage employees to exercise by participating in exercise programs sponsored by the University. Each employee is given the option of electing one hour per week of paid time to devote to pre-approved fitness activities. Improving the health of employees through exercise should result in decreased utilization of the health care system associated with high risk lifestyle behavior and will enhance employees' morale, motivation and productivity.
- The program is open to full-time University employees. Full-time is defined as having a 75 percent or greater academic or fiscal year appointment.
- A total of one hour of paid time to exercise per week is the limit under this program. This one hour can be used in four 15 minute periods, two 30 minute periods or one 1-hour period and cannot vary from one week to the next. The time off must occur during the employee's normal work week and can extend the total lunch or break time or be an independently designated time period, except at the start or end of the work shift. Under no circumstances may overtime or compensatory time result from participation in this program. No adjustments will need to be made on the time sheets of those employees who elect paid fitness release time.
- Based on the nature of the work assignment, specific employees may not be able to participate in this program. No additional compensation will be paid to those individuals who are not able to participate. Additionally, employees working during periods of minimal staffing may be excluded from participating during certain time periods. Under no circumstances will the fitness release time that is forfeited due to work obligations be allowed to carry over or accumulate from one week to the next.
- The University reserves the right to terminate this program at any time and without notice.
- An interested employee must submit an application for the program prior to being granted any time off. All time off under this program as well as the type of program deemed acceptable is subject to approval by the supervisor, the department head and Human Resources prior to commencement of the activity. The employee will receive a copy of the approved application, and this will serve as official notification that the activity may begin.
- The application process for Time to Get Fit is online. The employee is required to identify the following on the application form: the physical activity, the location of the activity, the days of the week when the activity will take place, the daily beginning and ending times of the activity and the dates when the activity will begin and end. An employee may also request two or more activities on one application (i.e. walking on Monday and Wednesday). Employee must complete a new online application for each semester.
- If the employee decides to discontinue the fitness activity prior to the end of the program, the supervisor should be informed and Human Resources notified in order to accurately track the total release time used.
- If approved for participation, the employee acknowledges and certifies that the paid release time taken under this program is for the expressed purpose of exercise as outlined in the program application. Misuse of this time in failing to perform the activity as requested will be considered falsification of time worked and subject to appropriate disciplinary action.
- As part of the application form, the employee agrees to hold the University harmless in the event injury or illness occurs as a result of participation in a fitness program.
Eligible activities include all University-sponsored wellness programs and activities, intramural events, and exercise programs engaged in, on campus. Examples include:
- USI Recreation, Fitness and Wellness Center usage and activities
- University intramural events occurring during working hours
- Independent exercise activities conducted on campus
- USI Screaming Eagles Complex and Aquatics Center usage
- Exercise or participation in events sponsored by local fitness clubs not operated by the University (YMCA, Tri-State Racquet Club, Fitness World, etc.).
- A personal exercise program performed off-campus, (employee cannot request to leave work one-half hour early to go home and walk, etc.).
The above mentioned rules were developed to serve as general guidelines for this wellness program. The University may add, delete or amend these guidelines at any time. If you should have a question on the fitness release time program, please contact Benefits at 812-461-5466.