The University of Southern Indiana invites applications for membership to its Nu Upsilon Chapter of Alpha Mu Gamma, the National Collegiate Foreign Language Honor Society.
Alpha Mu Gamma is the National Collegiate Foreign Language Honor Society. The University of Southern Indiana is home to the Nu Upsilon chapter.
Among its goals, Alpha Mu Gamma seeks to recognize achievement in foreign language and to foster sympathetic understanding of other people through the medium of language. It is the sponsor of National Foreign Language Week in the United States.
Applications for membership are invited during the spring semester.
To become a member of Alpha Mu Gamma, applicants must meet both of these requirements:
- Have completed one full college academic year.
- Have a B grade point average (3.0) or higher in all completed college level courses.
And one of these requirements:
- Have received two consecutive grades of A in unrepeated college courses at the 200 level or above in French, German or Spanish.
- Have received two consecutive grades of A in unrepeated college courses in Japanese or Latin.
- Have received two consecutive grades of A in unrepeated college English classes (for natives of non-English speaking countries).
Students who are unable to apply for initiation at this time but are interested and may be eligible in the future may apply for associate membership. See a professor for details.
Membership dues for Alpha Mu Gamma are $40, ($25 national and $15 local chapter dues).