After you receive an I-20 or DS-2019 from the University of Southern Indiana or your program sponsor, you will need to obtain an F-1 student visa or a J-1 exchange visitor visa to be eligible to attend USI. We recommend that you consult the U.S. Department of State website to learn about the visa application process.
In summary, the visa process will consist of the following steps:
- Complete the online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160
- Pay the I-901 SEVIS fee
- Gather Required Documentation as instructed by the American embassy in your country.
Suggested Documentation for Visa Interview
- Visa application forms
- Passport valid for six months beyond the date you will enter the U.S.
- Photograph that meets specifications
- Receipt for the visa application fee
- I-20 or DS-2019
- I-901 SEVIS fee payment receipt
- Acceptance letter from the University of Southern Indiana
- Evidence of sufficient financial documentation
- Evidence of ties to your home country
When preparing for your visa interview, we highly recommend reviewing these 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Student Visa. Most importantly, just remember to remain calm and answer all of the Officer’s questions openly and honestly.
For further assistance with the application process and other information on studying in the U.S., you may also wish to contact an educational advisor at the advising center in your country. (EducationUSA has a listing of the 450 advising centers worldwide).