Skip to content
Contact USI

What should I include when I apply?

Along with a completed application, you should include:

  • A copy of a passport for you and your dependents, if you bring any
  • Original, official transcripts from all secondary schools and college (if attended), and English translations
  • A certified bank statement
  • A completed Statement of Finances form 

Where do I send my application materials?

Upload all application materials here.

Do I have to get a visa?

Yes. Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa: either a non-immigrant visa for temporary stay or an immigrant visa for permanent residence.

You must have a student visa to study in the United States. Your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determine whether you need an F-1 visa, J-visa, or an M-1 visa.

See Immigration Regulations for more details.

How do I apply for a visa? Will someone help me get a visa?

Once you apply and get admitted to the university, you will receive via DHL the admission letter and the I-20 document. After you receive these documents from the University of Southern Indiana, follow the U.S. Embassy/Consulate's instructions to schedule an interview for your F-1 student visa. It is important to apply for your student visa as far in advance as possible. Many consulates recommend that appointments be made no more than 90 days from the intended date of travel, but some can make earlier arrangements for interviews.

You can find more information on the U.S. Department of State's Student Visa page.

How long does it take to get a visa?

Wait times for interview appointments vary by location, season and visa category, so you should apply for your visa early.

Do I need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score to be admitted?

A TOEFL or IELTS score are not required to be admitted to the Intensive English Program. To be admitted directly to the University, an ibtTOEFL score of 71 or IELTS score of 6 is needed for undergraduate admission. If you are a graduate student, please check the requirements for your major of interest. Check the admission site for more information.

Other Services

Please refer to the Center for International Programs for more information. 

What is the cost?

See the Estimated Costs page.

Is financial aid available for tuition with IEP?

No. However, students can apply for scholarships for the university after graduating from IEP. Please click here to read more about our scholarships. There is also an Outstanding Student Award for the best student in the last level of IEP before continuing to the university. This student is usually nominated by IEP faculty.

How do I set up a bank account?

There are several banks in Evansville where you can set up a bank account. During orientation, the Intensive English staff will help you with this process. Fifth Third, Old National, and Evansville Teachers Federal Credit Union have bank branches and all offer services close to USI campus.

When should I pay for classes?

Health Insurance and tuition payment should be completed by the end of the third week for each session. The total amounts will be posted on your student account. You have to specify that you are paying for health insurance at the Bursar's office.

Payments for room and meal plan are placed on your overall University bill and are due when tuition and other charges are due.

Housing and meal plan charges will be listed separately on your bill. Housing prepayments are due at the time you sign your housing contract, or the contract will be inactive.

Most students establish a checking account and access their money with a debit card or check. You also may pay online through Touchnet in MyUSI or submit an actual check to the Bursar's Office. If you pay your bill with a credit or debit card, you will be charged a 2.95 percent convenience fee to cover the cost of processing the transaction.

Is housing available?

Yes. Fill out a housing application.Housing Application

An important part of the college experience revolves around living on campus. USI's modern student housing is comfortable, convenient and loaded with benefits and amenities. By living on campus, you are always close to academic buildings, Rice Library, the Recreation, Fitness, and Wellness Center, campus activities and events, campus dining options and the USI shuttle bus.

USI Housing and Residence Life features:

  • Fully furnished suite-style residence halls for freshman students only
  • Fully furnished apartment-style housing available to students of all grade levels
  • Living-learning communities
  • Live-in, on-call staff
  • Laundry facilities

Private Bedrooms
Private bedrooms are available to students at a higher cost. These rooms are for one person and include one twin bed, a private bathroom, and additional amenities. These rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Payments for room and meal plan are placed on your overall University bill and are due when tuition and other charges are due. Housing and meal plan charges will be listed separately on your bill. Housing pre-payments of $200 are due at the time you sign your housing contract, or the contract will be inactive.

What should I bring with me for housing?

You can find a list of suggested items to bring to campus online. For more information, see USI Housing and Residence Life why live on campus.

Do I need to reserve housing before I arrive there?


Can I live off-campus?

Yes. Off-campus housing is available in nearby apartment complexes. Note that leasing contracts are signed.

What if I need help applying for housing?

Contact IEP office  for assistance.

When should I arrive?

Please see the Before You Arrive page for more information.

Will someone meet me at the airport when I arrive?

Yes, someone can meet you at the airport, but you should complete the Arrival Information Form with the details of your arrival date and time.

What must students bring with them for orientation?

Students should remember to bring their original I-20, passport, money for TB test and health insurance if they need to purchase it from the university.

Is there public transportation?

Yes. For on-campus information check campus transportation. See the transportation schedule.

Can I drive?

All residents are allowed to have cars on campus. You will need an international or American driving license. Find more information on the Transportation page.

What are the courses offered in IEP?

Courses offered in the Intensive English Program include reading, writing composition, listening and speaking, academic skills with grammar, and TOEFL preparation.

How long are the classes?

All classes are approximately 1.5 hours long. All levels meet between 19-22 hours each week. The sessions are 8 weeks long.

How large are the classes?

Classes are generally small, between 8 and 12 students, depending on the level, but no more than 15.

Is there an age requirement for admission to the program?

You need to be at least 18 years or above and/or hold a high school diploma. Special situations can be addressed.

Where do students come from?

Students in the program come from all over the world: Brazil, Columbia, Ecuador, China, Japan, Indonesia, Ukraine, Palestine, Panama, Saudi Arabia, Azerbaijan and more.

Do I need to take a placement test?

Yes. A CaMLA placement test will be administered to every new student to determine the appropriate level of instruction.

Do I need to pass a TOEFL exam to pass the program?

Only students who desire to pursue a graduate degree after finishing the program are required to pass a TOEFL exam. Students interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree need to successfully complete the Intensive English Program.

How long will I be in the Intensive English Program?

That depends on the placement test. Each session is 8 weeks. It takes approximately 12 to 15 months to complete the program from Level 1 to Level 6.

Can I take University courses while attending Intensive English classes?

Immigration law does not allow to mix Intensive English courses with university courses. 

Can I attend part time?

Only if you have an F-2 visa status. F-1 and J-1 visas require that students must attend a full course of study during the academic year. Other situations can be addressed individually with the program director.

Who are the teachers?

The Intensive English Program consists of a full-time director and two full-time faculty with a minimum of master's-level degrees and years of experience working with international students. Part-time faculty also have a minimum of master's-level degrees and years of teaching experience in intensive English programs. Find out more on the Faculty and Staff page.

What is the weather like in your community?

Southwestern Indiana has four distinct seasons. Students should plan a wardrobe for changing seasons. The climate is humid with cool winters and warm summers.

What is your city like?

The City of Evansville, Indiana, was founded in 1812 on a scenic bend in the Ohio River. With a population of nearly 121,000 people in the city limits, and more than 300,000 people in the metropolitan area, Evansville is the third-largest city in Indiana. Evansville is the social and economic hub for our region, which includes Southwest Indiana, Southeast Illinois and Northwest Kentucky.

What other services are available to me once I get to USI?

Students have access to a lot of services like healthcare, library, immigration support, campus engagement, tax submission, banking and many more. Please check the International Student Services webpage to learn more.