Learn the Latest Knowledge and Skills in Addiction Science.
Earn a post-master’s addiction studies certificate online at the University of Southern Indiana. Our Online Advanced Studies in Addiction Science (OASAS) provides you with the most up-to-date, specialized knowledge you need to provide addiction support services and interventions to a growing population across the United States. It also satisfies the educational requirement for the Indiana Licensed Clinical Addiction Counselor Associate designation.
This flexible program is designed specifically for those who have a clinical master’s or doctorate degree in social work from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited program. It consists of four online courses that can be completed in only three semesters:
- Addiction Counseling Theories and Techniques
- Crisis Intervention
- Legal, Ethical and Professional Standards in Addiction Science
USI is dedicated to helping you reach your full potential and get the most out of your post-graduate certificate program—we’ll work with you to personalize a sequence of courses based on your credits and schedule. Our Program Director, Field Director and addiction science faculty members also proactively anticipate your needs and will provide you with robust support, expert advising and information on employment opportunities within the community.
What Can You Do With a Post-Master’s Certificate in Addiction Science?
Addiction studies careers are in high demand. Graduates of our OASAS program are employed in hospitals, behavioral and mental health agencies, schools, universities and other facilities and agencies that provide addiction and substance abuse interventions and support. Highly trained individuals are in great demand in Southern Indiana’s addiction services, and the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects employment opportunities for substance abuse, behavioral disorder and mental health counselors across the country to grow 23% by 2030.
Once you complete our online Addiction Science Certificate, you’ll discover new opportunities to careers such as:
The following is the curriculum for individuals with a clinical master's or doctorate degree from a CSWE-accredited program. We will work with you to personalize an individualized plan of study depending on your prior credits.
- SOCW 653 - Addiction Counseling Theories and Techniques
- SOCW 664 - Crisis Intervention
- SOCW 672 - Legal, Ethical and Professional Standards in Addiction Science
- SOCW 674 - Psychopharmacology
OASAS coursework is non-sequential and admission applicants with supporting documents are reviewed when received.
- Submit an online application and $40 application fee.
- Upload a completed background check (CastleBranch) to your application account.
- Submit transcripts to Graduate Studies.
- Official transcripts are required only from the institution at which your highest degree was earned. Electronic transcripts are preferred and can be emailed from the previous institution to Graduate.Studies@usi.edu
- Unofficial transcripts from other institutions attended can be submitted via email by the applicant to Graduate.Studies@usi.edu
- Applicants who wish to seek transfer credit for graduate coursework must submit an official transcript from the institution where that work was completed.
- Mailed transcripts can be sent to this address:
University of Southern Indiana
8600 University Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47712
- Read the full transcript policy by clicking here.
- International applicants may be required to submit additional information.
Courses are offered by blending desktop video conferencing and an online learning management system. Access to a reliable computer with internet, camera and microphone capabilities is required.
Substance abuse and behavior disorder counselors (i.e., Addiction Counselors) provide treatment and support to people who suffer from addiction, eating disorders and/or other behavioral problems. A need for highly trained individuals in addiction services is well documented. By enrolling in these courses, students have the opportunity to learn addiction theories and techniques, the basics of psychopharmacology, research methods, crisis intervention tools utilized in assisting addicted individuals and their families, as well as legal, ethical, and professional standards.
Learn from licensed, experienced and caring faculty.
Our compassionate and experienced addiction science faculty members hold licensure as clinical social workers (LCSW) and clinical addiction counselors (LCAC) in the state of Indiana, as well as other related credentials from national organizations. They also hold memberships in several professional associations, such as the CSWE, the National Association of Social Workers (NASW), the Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC) and the International Coalition for Addiction Studies Educators (INCASE). Take advantage of their experience and expertise to prepare for a range of addiction studies careers.
Earn Your Certificate Around Your Busy Schedule.
The asynchronous online format of our addiction science courses enables you to earn your post-master’s certificate on a schedule that works best for you—and without the need to travel to campus. We understand that you have many professional and personal responsibilities and will work with you to ensure you thrive in this program.
|Course Start||Application Deadline||Document Deadline||Registration Deadline|