Quantitative Reasoning Conference
- What: USI’s 2023 Summer Quantitative Reasoning Conference
- Who: Indiana public high school teachers interested in offering a high school or dual credit Quantitative Reasoning course
- When: June 13-14 from 9 AM to 4 PM
- Where: USI’s Griffin Center (8600 University Blvd, Evansville, IN 47712)
On June 13-14, 2023, USI will be hosting a conference informing Indiana public high school teachers about the increasingly popular topic of quantitative reasoning. Several efforts throughout the United States and Indiana have focused on making mathematics more relevant for high school and college students. Indiana has adopted standards for Quantitative Reasoning to be offered as a high school credit-bearing course, for which further reading can be found here. Over the past four years, Quantitative Reasoning has become a popular mathematics course at USI and other higher education intuitions. The content of the course includes the interesting subjects of probability, statistics, numeric/proportional reasoning, and modeling.
The USI Quantitative Reasoning Conference will inform secondary teachers on the topics of the course and give them the necessary means to offer a Quantitative Reasoning course, either for high school credit or as dual credit. This year we will offer three tracks:
- Teachers attending the conference for the first time
- Teachers that have participated in one past Quantitative Reasoning conference
- Experienced Quantitative Reasoning teachers who have attended the conference at least twice
The conference will be held in the Griffin Center on USI’s campus and contain four total workshops from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Teachers who attend the conference will be given a stipend of $120 per day ($240 total), provided lunches and hotel expenses (for participants living in excess of 60 miles from Evansville).
High school mathematics teachers interested in attending the conference are expected to apply to the link below. Applications for the conference must be submitted by May 18, 2023, and applicants will be notified shortly thereafter if they have been accepted to participate. The conference is supported through a STEM Teacher Recruitment Grant from the Indiana Commission for Higher Education and is offered only to teachers from public Indiana high schools. For additional information please contact Dr. Rick Hudson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application: 2023 Application closed